The Thing I'm Most Scared to Say

It’s funny that three words, comprised of only eight letters, can hold so much meaning. 

It’s also funny that those same three words, comprised of only eight letters, can strike immense fear into our hearts upon their utterance.  But why?  “I love you” is an outward manifestation of a glorious and redeeming absolute--an attempt to make the intangible construct of love concrete, by allowing its release through our voice boxes.  Why would we even begin to fear something that so strongly has the power to unite and heal?

My friends from home, who I can now say I love dearly, were always big on saying “I love you,” and their ever-so-casual utterance always seemed to hit me funnily and make me a bit uncomfortable.  I’d reciprocate the sentiment quickly, rather ashamed, for whatever reason.  To me, those words held greater meaning than what they were investing in it, or in hindsight, perhaps I felt those words held greater meaning than to be invested in me. But over the years, I happily assimilated into this culture of “I love you,” while still managing to retain a slight sense of discomfort when saying it to them--or anyone for that matter.

Just two weeks ago, when visiting my Grandma, someone who has known me from day one, I found that I had so much to say to her.  I wanted to convey my appreciation for her efforts and sacrifices towards my betterment.  I wanted to tell her I loved her and appreciated her, but I didn’t know how.  I knew that the moment I opened my mouth, fear would take over and my words that come out so seamlessly when inscribed on paper, would crumble into a series of two- or three-word sputterings.  So I wrote her a letter, so my words could take shape--so I could tell her just how much I loved her.

She and my grandpa were together for almost sixty years.  They shared “love” in every sense of the word.  They invested every part of their being in each other--their positive qualities, their forgettable routine tendencies, their seemingly unlovable faults.  They accepted and appreciated each other, even when Grandpa was picky about his food or Grandma took too long to make decisions.  In each other, they found a confidant and best friend to fall back on.  And it is because of them that I know true, unconditional love exists.  It is because of them that I can feel love’s palpable pulse in every sect of my life.  And, perhaps, it is because of them that I believe those three words should be reserved only for those who have profoundly impacted us.

I feel more comfortable saying it to my friends now, not only because I truly do feel love and trust for them, but because they have profoundly impacted this current version of myself.  Their impact will be felt for the eternity of my existence, and nothing they do will ever change that.  That’s love.

And in my mind, those three little words, comprised of only eight letters, hold much more meaning than the average person bestows upon them.  They some how combine together to form a universal unit of meaning that transcends time and the physical world.  Saying “I love you” releases all shame, and communicates ultimate vulnerability.  It is the last piece of yourself that you can give away.  It’s an entirely nonrefundable investment, a final utterance that releases all control.  It’s the passing along of your heart, which becomes entirely at the mercy of another person’s conscience and intentions. 

But I think the biggest reason it is so terrifying to say is because we want to hear it back.  We crave the reciprocated sentiment; we revel in the feeling of being loved by someone we love.  Not receiving this sentiment in return only gives way to a greater loss of control, a heightened sense of vulnerability, which is precisely why we shouldn’t take these words too lightly, why we should only say it when we truly mean it, and why we should only utter this phrase selflessly, only when we are willing to give without the prospect of receipt.

So perhaps I’m scared to say it because I won’t receive it in return.  Or perhaps I’m scared to say it because of its finality.  Or maybe I’m scared to say it because I will receive it in return, that someone will invest that same fragile trust in me, and that it could so quickly be shattered as easily as it was transferred.